Print Page | Close Window

Who Should Number the Requirements?

Printed From: One Stop Testing
Category: Quality Assurance @ OneStopTesting
Forum Name: Requirements and Design Documents @ OneStopTesting
Forum Discription: All those Artifacts generated in Requirement and Design Phases like Use Cases, SRS, Functional & Non-Functional Specefications, Check Lists, Design Documentations etc.
URL: http://forum.onestoptesting.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1286
Printed Date: 05May2024 at 1:43am

Topic: Who Should Number the Requirements?
Posted By: Sangita
Subject: Who Should Number the Requirements?
Date Posted: 07May2007 at 4:31am
I have seen it done both ways and, as you state, it depends on how good the author is at understanding that a sentence contains a requirement.

I encourage the author, whose responsibility I believe it is, to number them and then spot the ones they have missed in the review.

The best requriements spec for this that I have seen numbered them also according to priority. The priority was set as MUST (the product cannot go live unless requirement met), SHALL (the product would be seriously degraded unless this requirement met, SHOULD (this requirement is desirable) and MIGHT (it would be nice), then within these priorities they were numbered 1 to n. These priority levels were debated during the reviews and then agreed.
This enabled us to create a matrix for each priority level which made life considerably easier (especially as we had over 3000 requirements).

As a QA person reviewing the requirement, it is more difficult to find the time to do this exercise, as reviews are almost always on the critical path.

Print Page | Close Window