Print Page | Close Window

How Many Bugs are Acceptable?

Printed From: One Stop Testing
Category: Quality Assurance @ OneStopTesting
Forum Name: Quality Methodologies / Streams @ OneStopTesting
Forum Discription: Any Good Testing Engineer must know about All the Quality Certifications & Methodologies like ISO, IEEE, CMM, PCCM, CMMMi, XP, Agile and many more.
URL: http://forum.onestoptesting.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1148
Printed Date: 01Jul2024 at 7:03am

Topic: How Many Bugs are Acceptable?
Posted By: Vivash
Subject: How Many Bugs are Acceptable?
Date Posted: 30Apr2007 at 5:49am
I work as a software tester and I send this question here just in case any experienced colleague can give me a short opinion based in his experience, about a simple (but serious) problem I'm experiencing in my company.

In my current company we testers experience a classical problem in our job: too many defects are found in system test (it seems that development doesn't test at all)

To give you an idea: I have been working as a tester over the last 8 years, and by comparing with my previous projects, I expected to have found here around 3000 bugs in a year (7 testers are loading bugs in defect tracking system). We have found more than 10.000 in that lapse of time. As I told my bosses, this is not an equilibrated situation, and the QA of the products is permanently in risk. Quality should be improved from dev also, not just by recruiting more testers as they are doing now.

Bosses reply that they might agree but - and here comes my problem - that I have to measure the problem, provide statistics, comparisons etc.

So, does any of you know about any resource (book, webpage, tables, graphs, etc from acknowledge institution) which measures how many bugs are accepted in system test (some sort of tables by comparing as example number of bugs found in terms of lines of code ) We develope in C# and java.

Replies:
Posted By: jimmy_1310
Date Posted: 07Jun2007 at 3:03am
We cannot measure bug in Quantity.How many bug are acceptable is depend on the project & risk associated with project. so i think first u have to calculate risk associated with project then u can go for further analysis

Print Page | Close Window