Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

One Stop Testing ForumQuality Assurance @ OneStopTestingEstimation and Planning

Message Icon Topic: Estimation Techniques - Automating testcases

Post Reply Post New Topic
Arati

Online Status: Offline
Quote Arati Replybullet Topic: Estimation Techniques - Automating testcases
    Posted: 27Apr2007 at 2:06am
T = N x t, where:
T - total time, required to automate N test cases
N - number of test cases to automate
t - time to automate a test case "on average".

T depends on your budget and a project plan.
N is described in your test automation plan.
t depends on your skills and complexity of test cases.

While T and N are usually available or known to us, to determine t is where I lack experience. t has to be dependent on the type of test case - sanity, advanced, etc. From your experience and in general, can you tell me how much time a sanity test case will take to automate on QTP? What will t be for more complex testcase where you have to validate backend data?

In short, is there a formula for t by testcase complexity/type?

I am trying to estimate a pure QA project. I have manual testcases classified based on type - Sanity, Advanced, Exhaustive. I am well aware what I should estimate but automation is a new domain for me and I am not sure how I can estimate the effort in man hours or days or weeks to automate my manual testcases in QTP? What are the guidelines/techniques/tools you know?

I heard about estimating automation based on checkpoints or no. of test steps in a testcase. Is there a general thumb rule sort for estimating?

Post Resume: Click here to Upload your Resume & Apply for Jobs

IP IP Logged
Meghana

Online Status: Offline
Quote Meghana Replybullet Posted: 27Apr2007 at 5:41am

Quote:
    First and foremost, I did not steer the thread into a direction of my choosing

(definition of hijacking) and my response was quite germane.

The definition of hijacking is the only valuable input you have given till now.

Quote:
    2. I gave you the first input in the form of a link rich with food for thought on

estimation basics and pitfalls. This should have inspired you to go back to your project and

apply some new concepts and/or theories to come up with a viable estimate.

Its only been a few hours since I have been on this forum. To correct you, I have not been

on hijacking since 10/30 as I have only joined today 11/1. I know estimation basics probably

better than you. You have no idea of my background and u are already judging what i know and

do not know. Its sad!

Quote:
    C. A book was offered for additional research. Have you purchased it yet? You could have

checked it out from your neighborhood library at lunchtime... .

you have no idea what you are talking abt. You are not aware of my timezone to make that

comment. I shouldnt waste any more time on you.

Quote:
    Lastly, these things were offered in part because it was apparent to me that you lack

the requisite knowledge and experience to accomplish this task. It's unfortunate (for you)

that you found none of this helpful.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version