Print Page | Close Window

Characteristics of Unit Testing

Printed From: One Stop Testing
Category: Types Of Software Testing @ OneStopTesting
Forum Name: Unit Testing @ OneStopTesting
Forum Discription: Discuss All that is need to be known about Unit Software Testing and its Tools.
URL: http://forum.onestoptesting.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=854
Printed Date: 03Jun2024 at 8:02pm

Topic: Characteristics of Unit Testing
Posted By: Urmila
Subject: Characteristics of Unit Testing
Date Posted: 24Apr2007 at 3:23am
To the best of my knowledge,

1. Unit testing is a categorized under white box testing
2. It is performed, in some cases, during the coding phase itself by the developers, or at the Alpha stage of the SDLC cycle.
3. Requires having a good knowledge of the internal code, how it works, the type of code (C, Java, C++, VB, etc)
4. There are unit testing development kits available freely over the Net, like JUnit, HTTPUnit, etc. as well for .NET architectures as well.
5. It involves developing test plans and test cases

Now, my questions are such:

1. In the real world, what would be a situation or environment where you would be asked to perform Unit testing? That is, if I were to be selected as a Unit tester, with the programming languages implemented in the AUT (Application Under Test) being Java / C++, how would I need to approach the testing process? Can you give me some kind of a scenario, few of the initial steps followed?

2. What areas would you think that an interviewer would try to apply more emphasis on to view if I were a suitable fit as a Unit tester for his/her organization? You may misunderstand this as I am asking for questions for white-box testing, but no, I want to go more in depth here, like the critical criteria truly involved with such a important area of testing like Unit testing.

Can any of you guys throw some light on this topic? I would really appreciate it.

Print Page | Close Window