Print Page | Close Window

Estimating Test Time and Resource Needs

Printed From: One Stop Testing
Category: Quality Assurance @ OneStopTesting
Forum Name: Estimation and Planning
Forum Discription: Estimation and Planning are two of the most integral components of product development process.Proper planning prevents a project deviate from its desired goals.
URL: http://forum.onestoptesting.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1261
Printed Date: 14May2024 at 4:27pm

Topic: Estimating Test Time and Resource Needs
Posted By: tanu_2006
Subject: Estimating Test Time and Resource Needs
Date Posted: 05May2007 at 4:40am
I've reviewed some past postings on estimating QA test time/effort and resource needs on software projects. Boy, looks like everyone mainly uses the percentage of development time approach OR guessing test time and resources based on past experience.

C'mon! There's got to be a more accurate approach. First, a VERY accurate estimate of full test cycle time should be possible just be estimating the time required for one person to execute each of the listed test cases. From there, I guess you could look at the developers involved and see what their "single fix rate" has been on past projects. Meaning, what percentage of a developers bugs pass regression testing on the first pass of testing.

Where I get stumped is on number of test cycles. I know that the times for each test cycle should ideally reduce as you progress through the testing phase, but by how much and what are the total number of test cycles?

Curious if anyone has come up with a really accurate method of estimating QA test time/resource needs for projects. My current company is using the CLass C, B and A estimate rule. Class A estimates can be made after the design phase is complete and theoretically should be +/-10% of the actual time needed.

Print Page | Close Window