Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

One Stop Testing ForumTypes Of Software Testing @ OneStopTestingAutomated Testing @ OneStopTesting

Message Icon Topic: When Should a Test Be Automated?

Post Reply Post New Topic
tarun

Online Status: Offline
Quote tarun Replybullet Topic: When Should a Test Be Automated?
    Posted: 23Feb2007 at 11:16am
In order for my argument to be clear, I must avoid trying to describe all possible testing
scenarios at once. You as a reader are better served if I pick one realistic and useful
scenario, describe it well, and then leave you to apply the argument to your specific
situation. Here’s my scenario:
1. You have a fixed level of automation support. That is, automation tools are available.
You know how to use them, though you may not be an expert. Support libraries have
been written. I assume you’ll work with what you’ve got, not decide to acquire new
tools, add more than simple features to a tool support library, or learn more about test
automation. The question is: given what you have now, is automating this test
justified? The decision about what to provide you was made earlier, and you live with
it.
In other scenarios, you might argue for increased automation support later in the
project. This paper does not directly address when that’s a good argument, but it
provides context by detailing what it means to reduce the cost or increase the value of
automation.
2. There are only two possibilities: a completely automated test that can run entirely
unattended, and a "one-shot" manual test that is run once and then thrown away.

These are extremes on a continuum. You might have tests that automate only

cumbersome setup, but leave the rest to be done manually. Or you might have a
manual test that’s carefully enough documented that it can readily be run again. Once
you understand the factors that push a test to one extreme or the other, you’ll know
better where the optimal point on the continuum lies for a particular test.
3. Both automation and manual testing are plausible. That’s not always the case. For
example, load testing often requires the creation of heavy user workloads. Even if it
were possible to arrange for 300 testers to use the product simultaneously, it’s surely
not cost-effective. Load tests need to be automated.
Testing is done through an external interface ("black box testing"). The same analysis
applies to testing at the code level - and a brief example is given toward the end of the
paper - but I will not describe all the details.
5. There is no mandate to automate. Management accepts the notion that some of your
tests will be automated and some will be manual.
6. You first design the test and then decide whether it should be automated. In reality,
it’s common for the needs of automation to influence the design. Sadly, that
sometimes means tests are weakened to make them automatable. But - if you
understand where the true value of automation lies - it can also mean harmless
adjustments or even improvements.
7. You have a certain amount of time to finish your testing. You should do the best
testing possible in that time. The argument also applies in the less common situation
of deciding on the tests first, then on how much time is required.

Post Resume: Click here to Upload your Resume & Apply for Jobs

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version